Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tucker

This is Tucker. He is my first pig, and although I know that favorites are bad...he's my best guy. He was only a few months old when this picture was taken, he's now 5 years old and 110 pounds.

I bought Tucker from a breeder who cared nothing about the pigs she was breeding. They were there to make her money and that's all. He was the last in his litter, as his brothers and sisters had all been packed away by a crow when they were 1 day old. He was taken from his mother when he was 4 weeks old and put into a guinea pig cage (the small wire ones you buy at pet stores) in an unventilated shed with several rabbits any many birds. When she opened the door to go in and get him, the smell was unbearable. He was forced to live...night and day... right in something that I couldn't stomach from several feet away. Even though everything in me was screaming "DON'T SUPPORT THIS!!!" I could not walk away and leave him there. When I dewormed him, he was FULL of worms. It was seriously one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen. He was also full of mange. It was very sad.

Tucker's life has been full of chronic health problems. His nose runs constantly and has for the last 4 years and he has serious, chronic acne on his face and legs. We've travelled to many vets, who all did their best, but ended up telling me there was nothing more they could do for him. His lungs are only working at half capacity. His life, I am sure, will be shorter than most.

Because he was taken from his mother too early, Tucker doesn't have the social skills most pigs have. He doesn't get along well with other pigs and is grouchy most of the time. He is difficult to live with. He is also the best friend I have ever had.

I STRONGLY urge anyone who is seriously considering adding a pot-bellied pig to their family to PLEASE consider adopting an adult pig from a rescue organization. The number of abandoned and abused pigs needing a home is staggering when you consider the number of breeders out there who are mass producing this wonderful animal for profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment