Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Pigs and hair loss

Sigh. Tanner has started losing his hair. Most pot bellied pigs do this once a year, and mine usually do it in the spring, but he's started early. It's called "Blowing their coat," and it's awful!! It takes a few months for 1 pig to lose all of their hair, and all of mine start at different times which means that I have several months where it looks like I have pig bristle carpet in my house. Pig bristles are nothing like dog hair that vacuums up easily. They stick in everything...especially your socks!!! I HATE IT!!!!

On the bright side, we get a lot of laughs from their Shrek-like appearances during this process...and they do look ever so handsome when it all grows back, but I still can't say it's worth it. I'm not sure why he started so early this year. Boy, is he going to be cold! :)

4 comments:

  1. My Delilah looks so gorgeous in the winter when her thick hair grows in. During the summer she just looks dusty! ha ha. I love how much white your baby has on his face! Delilah only has a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3 pot bellies 2 gilrs(Wilma and Betty about 7 years) and a boy (pumba 2years). Only he is loosing his hair in spring. He actually started a little while ago. He always looks a bit like a gost pig. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO glad to hear it is normal! Our Lilly is just over a year and our first. I thought I googled everything there was to learn about having a potbelly. It broke my heart when she started loosing her hair. thought I was doing something wrong.She is solid Black, she is not completely bold. How long will it take to grow back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried when my first pig lost his hair too.I was grabbing handfuls and pulling it out, thinking something was horribly wrong with him. :)

      If Lilly had long hair (all pigs are different) it will take quite awhile to grow back to where it was. It always looks so nice when it comes back though.

      Delete