Tuesday, November 9, 2010

...and the Saga continues

I am a little scared to even post this. If nothing else, it will let me know how often my dad checks in on my page. I haven't told him yet that I have rescued yet another pig. He doesn't understand just how much these little guys and their horrible plight in life means to me. I'll put off the lecture as long as I possible can. (Take a few deep breaths before you call Dad, please! I know what I am doing!!! :o))

We are the 3rd home in less than a week for this little one. She's a 4 month old white pig. One blue eye, one brown eye. Very cool. Quite a contrast to my 4 black ones. She was purchased from a breeder in Camrose, and now the landlord doesn't allow pets in the house. Shouldn't that have been checked first??? Probably more likely that the owner realized that pigs are not dogs. They require a lot more time and patience, and are NOT suited for the trailer court he was living in. With this, I am assuming that this guy was her first home...who knows? She could have been passed through many homes before she made it there. The people who bought her next bought her for someone else, but the someone else didn't want/or couldn't have her...I didn't quite understand the situation. She was about to be shipped to the NTW yesterday, to "a place" the man said "where she won't last". So why ship her there??? I do have to say, the man did agree to give her to me even though he was wanting to make his money back on her. I applaud him for stopping to think about what was best for the pig. It seemed like it was a VERY impulsive decision on someone's part, and after a little thought it was obviously the wrong one. She was posted TWICE on Kijiji (2 different owners) last week as "URGENT!!! Pot bellied pig MUST go ASAP!!!" When will people realize that these guys are NOT toys? They have needs and feeings that get SO overlooked. This poor little girl is only 4 months old. She SHOULD have just left her mom a month ago, yet she's already gone through at least 3 homes. This has to stop.

She seems to be in OK shape, although she has a good case of mange and has various blisters on her nose pad and ears. She was also being fed horse feed (go figure???) I have isolated her, dewormed her and started her on proper PBP food. I expect she will be fine in a week.

I don't have any pictures on the computer yet, but I will post some as soon as I do. She's pretty sweet. It's easy to see at this stage in their lives how they can be marketed as sweet, easy to handle pets who will always stay small. It would be cool if that were true, but it's not. When the guy who dropped her off saw my boys, he was horrified that PBP got that big. He was (as is normal with someone trying to sell a pig) told that they stay very small. She was marketed in this way right from the breeder. When I contacted the breeder to let her know what was happening, she offered no help or any interest in taking the pig back. To me, this is just not responsible. The attitude that "what ever happens once they leave my house is not my business" is what is contributing greatly to the problem of unwanted and abandoned pigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment